GIL Foundation receives the Workers' Compensation Trust Safety & Health Committee Award of Excellence for 2017. The committee members have done a tremendous job in impacting the safety culture throughout the entire organization which has served to reduce hazards in the workplace. The committee’s efforts have shown a direct correlation to the reduction of employee injuries.
We would like to thank and congratulate each team member and worker for their service in advancing our mission in a safe and healthy manner.
Efforts of the Safety Committee include:
- Reducing our drinking water bottles from 5 gallons to 3 gallons to reduce injury risk
- We added beach wagons to each location for any loading/ unloading of groceries and supplies
- We purchased mechanical lifts for patient transfers at multiple locations
- We try to address any ergonomic applications for staff where we can
- We have been utilizing home deliver services when available (bi-weekly groceries/ quarterly meat/ butcher orders delivered and brought in)
- We have been addressing specific patient needs as it pertains to staff’s physical involvement (hand’s on care)
- We are addressing safety committee items timely
- We have been replacing interior / exterior lighting with new LED lighting (eliminating replacing of light bulbs) to avoid potential trips/ falls due to non-lit areas
- We have been adding motion sensors to interior locations (hallways, common areas) so walkways are lighted without manual switches
- We have been adding non-skid tape to areas of concern (ramp areas, vehicle steps, slippery areas) to better improve traction when walking
- We have implemented the use of “slip resistant” shoes for resident showers.